Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ive just got back from shopping at Sainsbury’s and am annoyed !!



Just a simple (but important) thing has made me see red.





Plymouth Gin

Ive just seen the new bottle design in the flesh (or the supermarket shelf, to be exact)

At best it could be called bloody ugly, but more truthfully, its just plain shite.
It looks like the sort of bottle you’d see a litre of east european, car engined brewed vodka, sold to you in a cheap corner shop ‘supermarket’ for about 3 quid.
What sort of brand image are they trying to promote with that…?

A bit of background for you all :

I love Plymouth Gin, I firmly believe it tastes better than any other gin on the planet,
it’s the only gin with an appellation controllee, it has to be made within the town walls of Plymouth from the sweet Atlantic rain off Dartmoor.


I recommend it to all my friends, I actively pomote it whenever and wherever possible, and have done so for the last 10 years since, they started to positively re-built the brand,
(and my palette matured enough to appreciate the complex qualities of this king of all gin’s).

I even send bottles of it around this planet of ours as presents and gifts for friends all over this world

It’s the only gin I will have in my house . . . . .
although I do carry both types ‘blue’ and ‘red’, and supplement this with damson gin in the winter and the fruit cup in the summer !!

I’m passionate about this gin, it has history, lineage, style and a quirkiness all of its own and most importantly its tastes better than any of the rest
___________________

Now:

This is the 3rd bottle makeover in as many years. You can already see the next stage in this process in a couple of years time

‘Oh, well we’ve introduced the new bottle designs and sales have rolled off by ‘xx’ percentage, Hmm well its obviously not the packaging or the placement (coz we employed the best people to design and promote that) it must be the product itself at fault – why don’t we change that and re-launch it -….... ....’
..... and so will see the demise of the best gin(s) in the world
_______________________
Guys it wasn’t broken, why the need to fix it !!!


Please, please, can we have a return to the original leaded bottle, resplendent with the monk on back ?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?