Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Homeward Bound

So . . . . at the moment I'm working mainly in Turkey.

This means I usually get home (all being well) via Hamsterjam at around 11.30 pm on a friday night, after a hell of a long week. So my desire to pick up a computer to do anything other than check ive been paid, is vastly reduced over a weekend - so appologies !!





Anyway. Did any of you catch this - >-< -

What they faied to mention is that the 'welcome' home was 30,000 rampaging Turks taking over the Airport @ 2am.

So this beg a few questions, who told them, who mobilised them, where did they all park, and whats it got to do with me ?



Seems the rolling national news (TV and Radio) channels reported the PM storming out, and published his arrival time back @ Attaturk. The individual local party cells in downtown Istanbul mobilised their network and 'encouraged' people to welcome the PM home - I initally thought this was a rent a mob gathering, but there were placards, palistiniane flags blended onto turkish flags, this was well thought out and very contrived !!

They blocked the 6 lane highway for 2km heading into the airport and abandoned their cars and walked to arrivals.



And whats this got to do with me. Well I was trying to catch the very early flight to Hamsterjam, and initally got caught up in the blocked road, then the taxi driver provided me with the most thrilling ride of my carrer to date in Istanbul (and for those of you who have been in taxi's in Istanbul, you will knoe exactly what I meen). Reversing backwards (at speed) down the outside lane of a a major highway, fording the central reservation, going straight over a very large over roundabout, and dinging about 10 stationalry cars. I then had to walk the last 1/.2k into the terminal around the cheering mod - fantastic fun :-)



And my comment on the subject the Turkish PM stromed out of Davos on ?

Suffice to say, good on him, and I hope the UN brings war crimes charges . . .

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?